Rhinoplasty, that is nose surgery, allows the bone and cartilage of your nose to be sculpted, depending on your needs.
There are many variations to the rhinoplasty procedure. The technique used for you depends upon your individual features and aesthetic goals. Alterations can be made to change your nose angle, reshape the tip, narrow the nostrils or change the size or width of the nasal bridge. Our surgeon will discuss these options with you during your initial rhinoplasty consultation.
FAQ: Rhinoplasty (Nose Job) Sydney
Rhinoplasty offers benefits to individuals of most any age, however, patients should wait until their facial growth is complete. For girls, this occurs at approximately 16 years and for boys at age 18.
Good candidates for a rhinoplasty include healthy individuals with any of the following issues:
- Nose disproportionately large for the face
- Hump or depression on the nasal bridge
- Disproportionately wide shape
- Nasal tip that droops
- Enlarged nasal tip
- Excessively flared nostrils
- Off-centre or crooked nose
- Asymmetry caused by injury
- Airway obstruction impairing breathing
A personal consultation is the first step for any patient considering rhinoplasty. We will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your aesthetic goals, and address any questions or concerns you may have.
Issues you should be prepared to discuss during consultation include:
Medical conditions, both past and present
- Current medications, including nutritional supplements and herbal remedies
- Past surgeries
- Allergies causing congestion or breathing difficulties
- Nasal spray use
Your physical evaluation will include an assessment of your nasal structure, skin tone, and the current shape and size of your nose. Your surgeon will also evaluate the relationship of your nose with your other features to create the balance needed for optimal rhinoplasty results.
Your surgeon may reposition or reshape the nasal bones during the rhinoplasty procedure. If needed, certain areas may be built up using cartilage or bone from the nose, or cartilage from other areas of the body, usually the septum of the nose. After the underlying structure of the nose is reshaped, the skin and soft tissues are re-draped over the reshaped framework.
In some instances, such as with nostril reduction, a small bit of skin at the base of the nostrils, may be removed. The incisions from this are concealed in the nose’s natural creases, although this is rarely necessary.
You will be issued pre-operative instructions immediately after you make your decision to proceed. It is important to read and understand these instructions when preparing for rhinoplasty in order to ensure the best possible results.
Those instructions may include:
- Refraining from smoking for several weeks before and after surgery
- Avoiding certain medications
- Arranging for help following the nose surgery, such as transport and in-home care for the first 24 hours
For your comfort and convenience, the procedure will take place under local anaesthetic with intravenous sedation or under general anaesthetic. We will carefully monitor your physical status throughout the operation and during your recovery.
The day of surgery
- In this early stage of healing, activity must be kept to a minimum
- Resting with your head elevated is important to minimize swelling
- Bleeding and stuffiness may occur in small amounts
Within 10 days
- Bruising will begin to subside
- Swelling reaches its peak and then begins to go down
- Stitches and splints will be removed
- Makeup can be applied to conceal any discoloration
- Non-strenuous activity may begin
After several weeks
- Exercise and most other normal activities may resume
- Most swelling will subside
- Numbness will diminish; though some may persist for several months
- Eyeglasses may be worn
Your results should begin to emerge within a few weeks after rhinoplasty. As each month passes, you’ll notice gradual improvement until healing is complete. It may take up to two years or more for your final results to appear.
Though getting used to your new look may take time, most patients are very pleased with their results. Many report increased self-confidence and an improvement in the overall facial look. Rhinoplasty results are permanent, though the ageing process may eventually change your nose shape.
Pricing starts at $10000.